ROOTED IN HISTORY
Stone Hill Farm
The earliest recorded deed to the property is dated May 1842 purchased by James Trumbull from the United States government. Dean Ferson, one of the earliest settlers in “Charlestown” (later changed to St. Charles) bought the land from Trumbull in Nov. 1851. Much later, Dean Street would be named after him. In March 1853, Leonard Juckett a colorful resident of St. Charles bought the property from Ferson. He was known as “Dr.”Juckett for a special healing salve he created. Sven Timms owned the property from 1854-1873 when it was purchased by Patrick and Ellen Dailey. The “Dailey Farm” stayed in the Dailey family for 67 years, until it was sold to Lathrop Hunt in 1940.
The original silo foundation has become one of the gardens. The current house dates back to the 1870’s built by Dailey with various additions added throughout the years. Parts of the house have bricks that were hand made locally and either used as insulation or for structural purposes. This technique was called “nogging”. In about 1980 an elderly resident of St. Charles called the property and surrounding area “Stone Hill” because of all the rocks and boulders. The foundation in part of the home was constructed with these huge rocks. All the rocks and boulders in the gardens were found on the property.
The pump house was built over the well with the original windmill structure still intact minus the sails. The original well was used until 1988.
In June of 1886, the Minnesota and Northwestern Railroad bought land about 100 yards south of the house from the Dailey’s for railroad tracks that are still in use until the old railroad bed becomes the Leroy Oaks Bike Path.
Buzz and Deb Marqui have lived here since 1972 and have raised four children. The land has given Debbie and Buzz an opportunity to manifest their creative spirits in the garden spaces, woods, “Barn” and home.